Saturday, January 26, 2013

crystal installation


I've been working on an installation using crystals I'm growing in my studio this week.

And as I was watching youtube videos about how to grow other kinds of crystals, I realized that this would be a great object for one of our hangers

Since the crystals are growing on a string anyways, it makes sense to keep that apparatus, and utilize the reflective quality of the crystals in a rear view mirror sculpture.  This already relates well to my current practice, and I am going to take this opportunity to relate my installation to the HDTS project, perhaps incorporating objects from the site to crystallize, or thinking about sand.

While shopping for Christmas presents I also stumbled upon this amazing old bumper sticker from the Arizona Meteor Crater, and thought it was a great sign, both literal and figurative, that it was one of two this vendor had at a flea market!






























If we get accepted to this program it would be a great opportunity to use more social media for our promotion, including starting up an Instagram identity, (or linking our own) and documenting our trip down to California, traveling the route we intend to use for our journey all the way to Albuquerque, and allowing people to experience some of the project in absentia.  We have also been discussing a kickstarter campaign, so that viewers who can not travel to the sites during the week of the program, might still be able to participate by supporting us, and they would receive either one, or all of the objects we create for it, as a show of gratitude for helping us get things started.


No comments:

Post a Comment